Friday, January 29, 2016

February Block

After much contemplation, consternation, and agony, I finally chose my first ever Quilting Bee Block!  Of course, my confusion really stems from Pinterest and all the lovely quilts that 
I want to make! 

So, I settled for something relatively simple...an Ohio Star inside a modified Log Cabin!  I did see this on Pinterest, but it didn't have any instructions. You can see my pin here:
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/218143175676095948/

Having a few computer skills, I decided that I could figure it out.  My first ever pieced quilt was a log cabin, so it shouldn't be to hard, right! 

I chose "Lady Slipper Lodge" by Holly Taylor and Moda. I love the dragonflies, little flowers and especially the muted greens and purples.  Shari will tell you how much I love purple, just ask her!  Actually this fabric just made me think of being bundled up by a fireplace...with a good book...
in a cabin...away from the world!


So here it is... my block instructions!  (Again, I am just winging it here, if you have an easier or better way, please feel free to adjust where needed.) All seams are 1/4 inch and white or off white thread is fine.  



Take the two green rectangles, and two lavender rectangles, sew a small ivory block to one side on the diagonal, trim and press open. Then sew another small ivory block to the other side on the diagonal, trim and press open. These are the points of the star. 













Sew a green rectangle to one end of the large ivory block and a lavender rectangle to the opposite end.





With the remaining lavender rectangle, sew the small green square on the end that will match up with the green on the base of the star. Then sew the small lavender block on the end that will match up with the lavender on the base of the star.  With the remaining green rectangle, sew a small green square to both ends.  








You now have your Ohio Star portion done.  It should be unfinished 6 1/2 x 6 1/2 and 6 x 6 when finished. 







Next we add the log cabin frame.  
I chose to put the green around the lavender star portion, and the purple around the green of the star. Just sew the strips on in the order I numbered, press and move to the next.  
Unfinished block size should be 12 1/2x12 1/2, finished, 12x12. 

Easy, breezy!

You should be getting your fabric pieces in the mail this next week and Thank you in advance...I am excited to put this quilt together! As for your question...when did you create your first pieced quilt?

Tamara


Pin It!

7 comments:

  1. Yes we all know you LOVE purple! 😘😘

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got the final dimensions wrong, but I have corrected them now. Sorry for the confusion!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This block is called the Orion Star by Eleanor Burns for Quilt in a Day. The book has lots of great setting ideas and easy instructions too! Wonderful fabric choices!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Valerie, I found a link on Pinterest, but it only had pictures and no other information! I appreciate the heads up, and I thought this fabric was perfect for this pattern!

      Delete
  4. I was just in the Mennonite fabric store for 2hrs trying to figure out the pattern with size of squares etc. They couldn't figure it out. I get home this afternoon and find your pattern. Thank you very much!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete